Thursday, January 12, 2012

January 11 - 12, 2012: Personal Best Today and P90X Fit Test!

January 11-12, 2012:



Over the last two days, I have lost that last pound that was lingering since the night before New Year's Eve. Wow! 12 days later?!?! I hope I don't subject myself to a weekend like that again unless I can physically and emotionally handle it. I haven't reached that point yet. Ironically, I feel like I have more muscle than I did 12 days ago.




  
Approximately 1195 Calories





Approximately 1120 calories
  • 1 mile on elliptical
  • 2 miles at 11.5 incline on treadmill at 3.0
  • 2.5 miles of intervals on the treadmill
  • P90x Fit Test
  • Some P90x Yoga
  • Foam rolling for 15 minutes
  • 1/2 mile walk



  Personal Score:  A today, D yesterday




January 11, 2012:
I had intended to hit the gym in the morning, but I had only 3 hours of sleep the night before. I wanted to hit the gym that night, but I passed out. So, yesterday was one of those unplanned rest days. Not much to write about unless you want to read about driving and sleeping.
I almost stopped at a fast food restaurant without even thinking. I found myself looking for a Taco Bell. What's strange is I don't even like fast food! I was just so hungry and so tired, I wasn't thinking about all the crap that's in pretty much anything affiliated with Taco Bell's menu. This was one day that laziness paid off. I was too lazy to leave the freeway and potentially hit more traffic, so I kept driving. Once I got home, I ate spinach lavash with onions and light cheese; a much better choice.
I believe I've correlated lack of sleep with the days that I struggle the most. I find that I'm lethargic and moody when I haven't had at least 7 hours of sleep in a night. This particular day was extremely difficult. Although, one positive moment (and always the moment I look forward to when traveling), was driving over the SF Bay Bridge and seeing the city and the bay in the distance.


I'm sure the people driving next to me were wondering why I was taking pictures! I was imagining the woman driving the SUV behind me yelling, "@(#$*!^* Tourists!" Hahaha.

After 3 hours of sleep and 6 hours of driving, I was not in the mood to see or talk to anyone. I turned down a few fun outings with friends and requests for visits. I don't like being around my friends when I'm down because I'm afraid they won't be able to accept that side of me. Even as I type this, it sounds crazy! My friends aren't superficial and I know they accept all of me, no matter what. Why does my brain go so haywire sometimes? The toughest part about dipping into those lows is that I know that I'm not myself, so I beat myself up over feeling the way I'm feeling and try to force myself to snap out of it! It's a vicious cycle.

January 12, 2012:
I got a lot of sleep last night (finally). After all the driving yesterday to work in the SF Bay Area, I came home and passed out on my couch around 9:30pm.
I woke up to another beautiful sunrise and soaked it all in with a smile while I prepared my egg white sandwich for breakfast.
Something about seeing the sunrise is so energizing and uplifting!
I hit the gym pretty hard this morning, followed by a P90X fit test and "sampling" of some of the workout DVDs. I was able to shave another 7.5 miles off my Like-a-thon challenge total, which felt amazing! I had a personal best during that workout! For my last 30 minutes, I did intervals, starting at 5 mins and going down to 1 min with a 2 min rest inbetween and increasing my speed each time. I started at 5.0 mph and ended at 7.0 mph. However, when I started the 7.0 mph run for my last 1minute interval, I realized I could probably go 2 minutes, so I tried and I did it! I was so proud of myself and I felt incredible!
Instead of my normal snack and lunch, I decided to try Shakeology. I can't believe how good it tasted! I felt like I was drinking frozen dark chocolate mousse with strawberries! It definitely felt like I was being bad!
Quite a bit of fiber in that drink... I recommend starting with half a pack for people not used to fiber! The shake helped stave off my hunger for a good 3.5 hours. Not bad!
Afterward, I went to my friend's house and we decided to explore P90X. It was actually a lot of fun! I did the fit test with him and I think our competitive natures had us doing more than we would have on our own. I was surprised that I was able to hold the wall squat for a 1:45 (he held for 1:10), even though I felt like my legs were Jell-O after just 15 seconds. I only have a 9.5" vertical (he had a 17.5"!), but I did 29 push-ups (I could only do 3 before Biggest Loser Resort) and my heart rate recovered from a high of 165 to 89 after 4 minutes of rest, and my resting heart rate is 49 bpm. All in all, I can tell that I've improved immensely, fitness-wise, over the last month.
I'm excited about getting more sleep and discovering all of the things my body can do! I just hope I am able to find a balance with work to schedule the fitness part of my life into my day. I feel SO much better after a workout and there is a true sense of accomplishment when I take off a shirt that is drenched in sweat.
Special shout-outs to Meg and Amanda for being such a major support system to me this week! You two are incredible and I am so fortunate to have you both in my life! Your words of encouragement propel me through difficult times and your actions inspire me to become a better version of myself. Thank you for letting me be part of your worlds! I love you both!
With all my ups and downs over the last two weeks, I hope I've at least conveyed that if you just take this process one day at a time, you can be successful even if it feels like you're experiencing multiple failures. It's only truly a failure if you don't pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again. So, make tomorrow a new day and believe in the process. I'll end with a quote I heard almost 15 years ago that has stuck with me:

"It works if you work it, so work it 'cause you're worth it!"

See you on the fit side!

-Heather

1 comment:

  1. If I was giving you a score I would give you an A+++! "Ook at all the self realizations you had! Look at all the truths you uncovered and...look at all you PERSONAL BESTS!

    I love you and I am so proud to call you friend! You really know hoe to build people and I am thankful you "build me"!

    I love you just the way you are...anyday!

    ReplyDelete