Sunday, January 15, 2012

January 14, 2012: Cautioning all Yogis

January 14, 2012:



Back up .4 lbs. I think yesterday's big loss really was mostly water... oh well. On a positive note, I can be in full gym gear and still register in the 180's on the scale! Woot woot!


  
Approximately 1504 Calories



I made the mistake of allowing myself to get a little too hungry today. Between 12 noon and 6:30pm, I was in a hair salon and nail salon. I brought three snacks with me, but I was still quite hungry when I got home. This caused me to eat more than I should have during my last snack and dinner. Plus, I was craving steak today and ordered a steak salad during lunch. Steak has approx 100 calories per ounce of a lean cut, grilled with no oil or butter... 3 small ounces almost takes up all my calories for a meal!


I eat out a lot. Even if you order healthy selections from the menu, you still face the challenge of the portion size. Most restaurants serve you the equivalent of two or more full servings! Have you ever looked at the nutrition menu at California Pizza Kitchen? If you order a full salad, most of them will be over 1000 Calories! For a salad! That should be illegal....


One thing I've learned: When eating out, always immediately ask for a To-Go box and box up half of what they put in front of you. Oh....AND you can add another 100 calories to any restaurant entree on the nutrition menu. You never know if the chef is partial to butter, oil, or bigger portions than were tested for that menu.


Approximately 649 calories
  • 75 min of yoga
  • 3.0 miles on the bike
  • 2.0 miles of intervals on the treadmill
  • Foam rolling for 15 minutes




  Personal Score:  C
I kind of "limped" through my final workout. Didn't break much of a sweat.

I started off my day feeling really strong and energized! I decided to give the early yoga class a try and I did really well! I would even say that it was a personal best for yoga! My body was going into poses that I had previously thought impossible! I hit the "reverse down dog" (flipping the dog), dancing warrior, goddess pose (which would usually make me fall on my butt), tree pose (without falling at all), and my first real cobra pose (on only the tops of my feet / palms of my hands! That stuff is NOT easy!)


There area a few poses I need to work on. Two that seem to come up often are:


  1. Lotus (far too advanced for me at this point. When she says "put your foot into your upper thigh," I just laugh... I can put it on my knee... that's it.); and
  2. Not sure what it's called (Standing Bow, maybe?), but you start by standing and grabbing the inside of your foot behind you. You arch your back and leg into a "U" shape while holding the inside of your foot and balancing on one leg. That part I did fairly well for an inflexible beginner... but, then we were supposed to lean forward and touch the floor with our other hand. I almost had it on the right side, but I used a block for assistance. When I tried it on left side... ummm... I fell forward, hit a puddle of water from the condensation of my cold water bottle, slipped forward, bounced off the window and onto another person's mat. Apparently, you aren't supposed to say, "sh*t" in yoga. Ever. Not even when you're falling and about to take out a Yogi. Seriously. Not allowed.


After yoga, I went to lunch with Marisa and I had a grilled steak salad with no oil, no butter, and light Italian dressing on the side. I don't know why I even bother with salad dressing. I dip the tips of the tongs of my fork in it before each bite, but when I'm done, it looks like I used zero dressing. The little container is always still filled to the top. I guess if it works, don't mess with it! I just hate to waste food.

.... Fast forward about 14 hours...


After a nice chat with the wonderful Meg "spazaway" Gazaway, I squeezed in a few more miles at the gym last night before attempting to write my blog in a timely fashion. I was so tired that I fell asleep while trying to type this up last night! I woke up at 2am, on the couch, with my laptop sitting on my chest and its battery completely drained. Sorry for the late post! Yoga and the late workout must have wiped me out!


I'm off to the gym to try to get more miles behind me. Literally.


Then, I'm heading to Zumba with Ben (and hopefully, Michelle will be joining us too!) Tonight, I have plans with a few friends. It will be my first "SundayFunday" sans alcohol and bad food (we'll see if my 10% creeps in there somewhere! I just really want to stay away from alcohol. New Year's Eve is still a little too fresh in my mind).  I can't stay out too late, though. My trainer decided that 7am on Monday would be the perfect time to take me running outdoors for the first time.... and it's going to be 25 degrees! Thanks for picking the coldest day of the year to start training outside!



I guess it will better prepare me for Utah, but I'm having trouble getting excited about it. I believe my exact response to my trainer requesting tomorrow at 7am was, "Ugh. OK, fine."


Anyone living on the east coast or northern U.S., and reading this, is probably thinking, "I'd wear shorts if it were that warm here!" Well, I'm a big wimp and I'm totally acclimated to Cali weather. I'm not even sure whether I have the proper clothes for this. I just may be visiting REI or Sports Authority tomorrow for more appropriate cold weather clothing.


It's warmed up 5 degrees in the last hour and a half, so I guess I should go for a run...

See you on the fit side!

-Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment